Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: "Whiplash River" by Lou Berney [[Love Letter to a Protagonist]]

Title: Whiplash River
Author:
Lou Berney
Publisher:
William Morrow
Date Published:
July 10, 2012
Pages:
320

 Dear "Shake":

You are such a gripping protagonist that I have abandoned my typical reviewery, and have decided instead to write you a love letter. Fictitious though you may be, you have delighted me in such an epic literary way that I've thrown all blogger-professionalism to the wind!

 Running his own restaurant in Belize was by far the most stressful job Shake had ever had.  Driving getaway for the Armenian mob, a Humvee of Salvadorean gangbangers trying to ram you into the Los Angeles River - that, by comparison, was like listening to soft jazz in the tub.

Oh Shake. How I love a bad boy turned good,  Could you exemplify this any more? Answer: no.  Your witty diction coupled with a rough-and-tumble background of drug running, punch-taking and shit-talking gives me a thrill I can't quite qualify.  And then there's your hopeless romanticism, kept well under wraps but delightfully called out by your author.  Everyone loves to read about a solid player, and while you're no stranger to the crime novel fling, your penchant for Victorian pining (and consequential poor decisions) makes my heart ache.  

Shake, I loved you so hard in "Whiplash River" and I want to tell everyone to embark on your adventures.  Truth be told though, I'm feeling jealous about you.  So I'm going to keep our shenanigans on the hush-hush. 

Call me maybe.

Karen


4 comments:

trish said...

Dear Karen,

Have I told you lately how much I love your reviews? Because I do. Especially this one. Because now I've got a protagonist I've got to write a love letter to.

Love always,
Trish

Unknown said...

I like to read it. Great effort by the author, really appreciative work.. I hope every one in future understand this info.

Adventure Sports

Wedding venues in Los Angeles said...

The week of our wedding, there was rain in the forecast for our big day. Every day, I'd email their manager, worried sick and he assured me to not to stress, "I will take care of everything," and he did!

Anonymous said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات
شركة رش مبيدات بالقطيف